Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dinosaur Bento Box

As promised, I am showing you the super fun sandwiches that I made for the bento box from my last post. My daughter is in love with them, and keeps asking for them, especially in the morning when she wakes up! So, without further ado, I give you the grilled chicken and cheese dinosaur sandwiches!

Okay, okay, I know I made them just a tad bit crispy, but my daughter never once complained! This sandwich was made with some leftover shredded chicken. I love to bake a whole chicken because it will feed my family for four to seven days! Here is how I used it in this fun little set of sandwiches:
I got this little beauty at the grocery store, near the bread. There are other fun shapes available, but I wanted to do a boy friendly version of bento lunches. Oh, and I am fully aware that this particular dino did not, in fact, have scales down the back, but it added a special touch to the sandwich! Now, let's get started.

1. Butter one side each of two slices of bread. With the butter facing out, slide a slice of cheese between the bread. Carefully line up your cutter on top of the bread.
*My bread was smaller than the cutter, so I just made sure that the head was cut properly because you won't see the feet as easily once it's in the bento box. Also, be sure to use a super flat surface, or you'll only cut out the top layer of bread.

2. Seperate the dinos, and set them right side up. Slip the top slice of bread off the top of the dinos, and add your shredded chicken. Be sure to have the edges of the chicken hang off the edge along his back if you want it to look like spikes. Then replace the top slice of bread.

3. Carefully place the dino into a pan, which has already been heated on medium low-medium heat. Brown on each side, being careful not to lose the chicken when you flip them. * I find that if I stick the sandwiches in chicken side down, and cheese side up first, they flip easily when I go to brown the other side.

4. Place the two dinos in your bento box. While they are still warm, cut out a small piece of cheese and stick it on the dino for an eye. Fill the rest of your box and you're all set!


No comments:

Post a Comment